Thursday, July 12, 2018

So cool and over my head

One thing I love about the PHA conference is that they open it to medical professionals and patients and caregivers. It's this giant melting pot of super-knowledge, interaction, and feedback. In one of the dinner sessions, the speaker was talking about something so cool, I barely understand it. So I thought I'd share the microscopic amount I understood in the 30 minute presentation :)

Researchers are studying certain gene mutations on something called bmpr2 (bone morphogenetic protein receptor type II) and it's 33 relations that are located on chromosome 2. They seem to have a big impact on the development of pulmonary hypertension. It took years to find these receptors but now a research team is running four different trials to learn more about the role these receptors play in PH. This could lead to a better, faster, and less invasive way of diagnosing PH as well as a new avenue to explore cures to this awful disease.

Science is so cool! I should have paid more attention in biology....sorry Ms. Myers. 


The conference I attended was through the Pulmonary Hypertension Association (PHA)

No comments:

Post a Comment